Streaming services have become a big hit among users, but with so many of them present on the market, it can be a bit complicated to pick the best one. Use this handy guide to see what each service has to offer and make the right choice for your needs.
Top 5 Streaming Services To Enjoy In The UK
Many have tried to steal the crown, but Netflix retains its position as the most popular streaming service in the world. Its main strength is an impressive library that is filled with content made by renowned studios and original titles that are funded by the service. It may not have as many titles as the US variant, but there is still something for everyone.
- Cost: Netflix offers three monthly subscription tiers. For £5.99, you can stream SD content on one device. The £8.99 middle tier increases the number of devices to two and the quality to HD. At £11.99, the top tier unlocks UHD/4K streams on up to four devices.
- Compatible devices: PCs and Macs, PS3 and PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, a selection of Smart TVs, Android and iOS devices, Nintendo Wii U, Chromecast, and Chromecast Ultra, several set-top boxes, Roku.
As the name may infer, Britbox is a streaming service that is focused on British content. It is a haven for fans of older British series that are notorious for being hard, such as many Doctor Who seasons.
Many of the popular series that have been released in recent years are also present, with Downton Abbey and BroadChurch being two of the stars. However, it is worth noting that it only hosts British series and movies, which can be a bit disappointing for those who favor diversity.
- Cost: There is a single subscription tier at £5.99 per month on a single device.
- Compatible devices: PCs and Macs, Apple TV, select Smart TVs, Android, and iOS devices.
Disney is one of the latest companies that decided to join the streaming wars, and the service has already made a splash, securing more than 50 million customers since its release. The service features many of the popular titles that have been released by Disney and the studios, which have been acquired over the years, with two of the main attractions being the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the Star Wars Saga.
- Cost: Two options – £5.99 per month or £59.99 per year.
- Compatible devices: PCs and Macs, Android and iOS devices, Amazon Fire TVs, Fire TV Stick, Fire Tablet, Nvidia Shield TV, select smart TVs, Airplay, and Chromecast streaming.
Unlike the the other services on this list, Rakuten offers the option to rent or buy individual titles instead of paying an all-access fee. A fresh selection of content is available, including many of the most recent releases.
Several promotions will offer the opportunity to earn free codes for rental via a variety of means, and parents have the option to purchase Rakuten Super Points that can be used to acquire content.
- Cost: The prices can vary according to how new the movie is. In the case of older films, they start at £2.49 to rent and £6.99 to buy per movie. Newer titles start at £3.49 to rent or £8.99 to buy per movie.
- Compatible devices: PCs and Macs, Apple TV, select Smart TVs, Android and iOS devices, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, Humax Freesat Boxes, Roku, and Chromecast.
Apple TV+ seems to be focused on original content for now, and some of the titles have received praise from critics, while others were a bit less popular. However, the service is easy to use and is compatible with many devices beyond the Apple ecosystem.
- Cost: One subscription option at £4.99 per month. Free for the first year if an eligible Apple product is bought.
- Compatible devices: Pcs and Macs, iOS devices, Apple TV, several Smart TVs, Roku, Amazon Fire TV. Accessible on devices that include an updated and compatible internet browser.
Many streaming services provide hundreds of movies and TV series. Hopefully, the short reviews from above will help you choose one of the best streaming services that you can now enjoy in the UK.